Episode 172 is a Q&A episode with Chris Brennan and Leisa Schaim, where we answer some questions that have been sent in by listeners of the podcast over the past several months.
We covered a wide variety of topics in this episode, including famous celebrity endorsements of astrology, how to calculate an astrological chart by hand, how an astrologer writes a horoscope column, and what makes a planet prominent in a chart.
We also covered other questions about how important asteroids are in a chart, what constitutes the beginning of an election, stories of unforeseen consequences of electing a chart poorly, and how do you know when you are ready to give an astrology lecture.
Towards the end of the episode we answered a series of questions about the use of whole sign houses, and then wrapped up with a question about what the purpose of astrology is, as well as how to approach difficult chart placements.
Below you will find an outline of the questions addressed in this episode, followed by links to the video and audio recordings.
This episode is available in both an audio and a video version.
Astrology Questions Answered in This Episode
Here is a condensed summary of some of the questions we answered:
- As far as celebrity endorsement of astrology goes, which famous personalities come to mind? Who regularly consults/has studied or has been vocal about their knowledge?
- How do you calculate an astrological chart by hand?
- Lots of discussion about writing horoscopes recently, but you never said HOW to set up a chart to write horoscopes. So, What is the procedure for setting a chart up to write a set of horoscopes?
- I hear a lot of references to “if [a given planet] is prominent in your chart” but I never feel like I understand what that means. Could you elaborate/explain?
- How important/accurate are asteroids in reading a birth chart?
- What exactly constitutes the beginning for electional astrology?
- In terms of conferences, how do you know you are ready to apply to speak or hold a lecture? Do you need a specific, original breakthrough in order to consider moving forward towards that?
- I was wondering how folks with their ascendants in later degrees can reconcile changing to whole sign houses? I’m really interested in using the whole sign system, but I struggle to make sense of the changes in my own birth chart. My ascendant is at 29 degrees of Libra, and changing to whole sign means that literally every planet in my chart is now in a new house.
- I’ve noticed the increasing popularity and shift towards whole sign houses over the past few years. I don’t have a fixed view on this system either way, but would value yours and others insights on the relationship or interplay (?) between whole house systems and the role of traditional intercepted houses interpretations in chart analysis.
- I’ve started using whole house signs since discovering your podcast earlier this year. They work great overall and provide clarity on areas of charts that are intercepted in other house systems. However I’ve been experimenting and have noticed whole sign houses do not seem to be as effective when reading solar and lunar return charts. Do you cast solar and lunar returns with the whole house system? Have others found similar?
- Can you speak to how the two of you managed your re-orientation to using the Whole Sign house system vs say, Placidus or Koch?
- Something I think often implied but never really discussed often enough: what is the purpose of astrology and what role does the astrologer play for their client?
- How do you approach challenging house placements in the natal chart? For example, the chart ruler being in the 12th house? Are there any rules or ways to mediate this placement? (Ex: Leo rising, sun in Cancer 12th house)
Links to Stuff Mentioned in This Episode
Here are some links to different things mentioned in the episode at various points:
- Llewellyn’s 2019 Daily Planetary Guide
- Chris’s new Professional Astrologer Course
- Hellenistic Astrology Course
- Leisa’s lectures on annual profections, and Saturn returns + sect
- Astrology podcast t-shirts
- We are planning on answering the rest of the questions that we couldn’t get to in this Q&A on an episode of the Casual Astrology Podcast.
Watch the Video Version of This Q&A Episode
Here is the video version of our Q&A episode:
A full transcript of this episode is available: Episode 172 transcript
Listen to the Audio Version of the Q&A Episode
You can either play this episode of the podcast directly from the website or download it as an MP3 to your computer by using the buttons below:
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 2:30:02 — 69.0MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Stitcher | RSS | More
Leave a reply