In episode 392 astrologers Adam Elenbaas and Chris Brennan discuss the relationship between fate and astrology, and how astrology can be used as a tool to study fate.
This episode was originally recorded as a Q&A for Adam’s YouTube channel, where we answered some questions that were sent in my his fans about fate, free-will, and ancient astrology.
During the course of the episode we talk about how ancient astrologers viewed fate, and used astrology as a tool for understanding and negotiating it.
Along the way we also touched on other topics such as karma and reincarnation, electional astrology and magic, and how to delineate a birth chart in a way that balances determinism and free-will.
This episode is available in both audio and video versions below.
- 00:00:00 Intro
- 00:03:11 Diverse views of ancient astrologers
- 00:04:48 Were ancient astrologers fatalistic?
- 00:07:10 Definition of fate
- 00:10:35 Complete determinism
- 00:16:03 Partial determinism
- 00:19:08 Signs vs Causes
- 00:30:07 Resources about Jung on astrology
- 00:31:28 Is fate the same as karma?
- 00:43:24 Was astrology a religion?
- 00:49:08 Did ancient astrologers believe your chart was a set of instructions?
- 01:02:16 Was astrological magic used by all astrologers?
- 01:10:30 Electional astrology and magic
- 01:12:44 Limitations of predictive astrology
- 01:18:20 What successful astrology looks like
- 01:22:36 Why ancient texts sound fatalistic
- 01:28:45 Modern astrology’s view of charts as a set of potentials
- 01:37:42 How to deliver a delineation
- 01:38:45 Why fate is a good thing
- 01:44:36 Concluding remarks
- 01:47:04 Patrons and sponsors
Watch the Video Version of This Episode
Watch the video version of this episode on fate and astrology on YouTube:
A full transcript of this episode is available: Episode 392 transcript
Listen to the Audio Version of This Episode
Listen to the audio version of this episode or download the MP3 here: