Episode 262 features an interview with astrologers Basil Fearrington and Kathy Rose about the life and work of the astrologer Noel Tyl.
Noel Tyl was one of the most prolific astrologers of the late 20th and early 21st century, having authored around 30 books.
He passed away last year, on December 31, 2019, the day he turned 83 years old.
I almost did an interview with him last fall, but it didn’t come together, and I regretted having missed the opportunity.
In order to make up for it I decided to interview two of Noel’s most prominent students, Basil and Kathy, who continue to teach his methods.
In the first part of the episode we talk about Noel’s biography, and in the second part we talk about his approach to astrology and what made it unique and distinctive.
Thanks to Matthew Ouimet for his help putting together the outline for this episode!
Below you will find the show notes, followed by links to listen to the episode.
This episode is available in both audio and video versions below.
Show Notes and Episode Outline
- Noel Jan Tyl (1936-2019)
- Born December 31, 1936, at 3:57 PM EST in West Chester, Pennsylvania
- Died December 31, 2019 at 11:11 AM in Arizona
- Died on his birthday, at 83 years old.
- One of the most prolific astrologers of the late 20th century.
Biographical Background on Noel’s Life
- Born December 31st, 1936, at 3:57 pm EST in West Chester, Pennsylvania.
- Big guy: 6ft 11in tall
- Excelled academically and athletically
- Accepted to Harvard
- Became aware of astrology after college at age 28 (Saturn return)
- Went to Zoltan Mason’s bookstore in New York Cit
- Tyl self-taught through books
- His first published book was “Astrology as Identity” in 1973.
- Wrote while in Germany and submitted to Llewelyn
- Subsequent series: Principles and Practice of Astrology (12 vols)
- Published 30+ books in his life.
- Strong connection with Llewellyn publishing company.
- Developed and taught his Master’s Course
- Founding member and early Presiding Officer of AFAN
- Involved in organizing the first United Astrology Conference (UAC) in 1987.
- Received Regulus Award at UAC in 1998 for Enhancing Professional Image
Noel Tyl’s Approach to Astrology
- Humanistic astrological focus
- What was most important was having a meaningful conversation with the client.
- Influenced by psychological need theory taught by professor Henry Murray at Harvard
- Who were Noel’s primary influences as an astrologer?
- Alan Leo
- Marc Edmund Jones – personal connection?
- Dane Rudhyar
- Reinhold Ebertin
- Crafted an approach that was both technical and psychological
- His opposition to the use of the terms benefic and malefic
- Focus on hard aspects
- Minor aspects
- Didn’t use the inconjunct.
- Quindecile: 165 degrees – intense focus or obsession
- Quintile: 72 degrees – creativity
- Aspect patterns
- Grand trine
- Grand square
- Others involving quadrant or hemisphere emphasis
- Hemisphere emphasis
- Singleton planet
- Placidus houses
- He did not dismiss all traditional house meanings
- Focused on what was psychologically and behaviorally important.
- 2nd house as how you view yourself as a resource; self-worth and self-esteem
- Rulers of the houses, using modern sign rulers
- Saturn retrograde interpretation
- Peregrine as unaspected planet
- Timing techniques
- Solar arcs
- Secondary progressed Moon
- Via Cosmobiology of Reinhold Ebertin
- He thought the WWII era delineations of Ebertin were too pessimistic
- “Updated” them
- Weekly vocational exercises on his forum
- Aries point
- Some books by Noel:
- Synthesis and Counseling in Astrology (1994)
- Solar Arcs (2001)
- Prediction in Astrology (1995)
- Vocations: The New Midheaven Extension Process (2006)
- Astrology of Intimacy, Sexuality, and Relationship (2002)
- The Astrological Timing of Critical Illness (1998)
- The Creative Astrologer: Effective Single Session Counseling (2000)
- Noel Tyl’s Guide to Astrological Consultation (2007)
- The Principles and Practice of Astrology (12 vols)
- Biographical Resources:
- Basil’s blog: https://newwayastrology.tumblr.com
- Kathy’s website: http://www.roseastrology.com
Watch the Video Version of This Episode
Here is the video version of this episode on the life and work of Noel Tyl:
Listen to the Audio Version of This Episode
You can either play the audio version of this episode of the podcast directly from the website or download it as an MP3 to your device by using the buttons below: